Being able to bet at an online casino has become pretty easy these days. With these opportunities growing every time, it is time that we publicised online gaming safety even more.
Responsible gambling is the responsibility of the individual gambler, as well as, the community.
As an individual, it is important for you to learn that you are gambling for entertainment and there are likelihoods of losing your hard earned money.
Responsible gambling should happen in balance with other activities and should not cause problems with your family or friends. The reason why one would be said to be a problem gambler is their inability to stop spending money, energy or time on gambling. This can later affect the person’s personal social and financial we-being.
Why one would be addicted to Gambling
It would be hard to tell why a player gets addicted to gambling. These are the same reasons as to why people become addicted to a drug or behaviour. Some may say that depends on the social, bio-medical or psychological aspects. When it comes to gambling, a player might be addicted to gambling because of the winning expectations of losing distress.
How do you know that you’re a problem gambler?
Problem gambling is officially referred to compulsive disorder, but addition to gambling is similar to substance abuse. This is the reason as to why it is important to be aware of the problem early for you to offer or get the help you need. This will go a long way in avoiding the worst from happening.
What are the signs of problem gambling?
• The player will unknowingly spend more time and money on gambling
• The punter will go ahead to neglect responsibilities like work and family, friends and social ties.
• The player can do anything to get gambling money. They can cheat to get the money or even steal it.
• The punter will always be preoccupied with gambling or something that will lead them to gamble
• The player gets into a financial mess
• The personality of the player changes and they constantly have mood swings, they are agitated easily and behave in a manipulative way
How would you deal with problem gambling?
The best way to avoid problem gambling is not gambling at all. But this would be hard since real money gambling brings joy and a great time with friends. If you can control your gambling habits, then you might evade the risk of getting addicted. Having a gambling budget will assist a great deal in ensuring that you do not fall prey to problem gambling.
Another way to evaluate whether you’re becoming a problem gambler is taking tests on the internet and reading the signs of gambling addiction. Doing this will make you aware of the possible risks of gaming and know what to pay attention to understand the problem.
Confronting, condemning or judging the problem gambler might turn out to be disastrous and not correct the behaviour of the punter. The best thing to do would be to seek professional help to curb the disorder.
Tips to gambling responsibly
- Play with money you can afford to lose
- Never borrow gambling money
- Do not chase your losses; you might end up losing more
- View the losses you make as the cost for the casino gaming entertainment
- Come up with a gambling schedule and a budget for the money you spend on gambling
- Do not allow gambling to break your commitments or relationship
- Do not take up gambling when you are emotionally unstable or under influence
Are there organisations that help with problem gambling?
These bodies include:
- Gaming Therapy
- Australian Problem Gambling
- Gamblers Anonymous